Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My favorite kitchen utensil right now...

Okay so here's the deal...I've had this "Lodge" cast iron skillet sitting in my pantry for a good year - Bradford's grandma gave it to me but said it needed to be seasoned before I use it.  Seasoned, "what in the world did that mean?"  So I placed it in my pantry and never thought about it again :(  Until I saw my lovely Mother-in-law using hers...I thought hmmm I should really get mine out and use it.  So that is what I did; I googled how to season a cast iron skillet.  It's so easy you preheat your oven to 325 degrees and cover the pan with canola oil then bake for an hour...that's it!

Thus my love affair with my cast iron skillet has begun...I cook everything in it!  Don't get me wrong I still LOVE my Pampered Chef "everything" (I'm a Pampered Chef-a-holic) but anything I can cook in this skillet I do...here are a few examples


Gluten free cornbread...I use Bob's Red Mill mix.  Best I've found so far...still experimenting.

The Hubby taking it 'Old School'...both of our Grandpa's did this.  You mix your cornbread with milk...Bradford's Papa takes it to another level and adds Raw Onions.  Ewe no Thank YOU!!! 

Gotcha!  He enjoyed it :)


Ok now I'm just looking for things to cook...I decided to make breakfast burritos to store in the freezer for when we are in a hurry.  I cooked the sausage and eggs in the skillet then you just rinse with water!  Easy cleanup my fav :) These burritos were so easy and kind of fun!

Assemble and freeze 
 
Love a stocked freezer!  I have learned convience is priceless when you have a 3 month-old!


-Aubrey M

No comments:

Post a Comment